Every e-Tool in the e-Toolbox was reviewed by either a UDI Online Project research and design team member, or one or several faculty at five partner institutions who incorporated a specific e-Tool into an online or blended course they taught. Faculty from these partner institutions also requested that students review the e-Tool included in a course or products created through the use of the e-Tool (e.g., documents, videos, audio clips, or other items). Likert scale surveys with open-ended questions were used by respondents. Feedback from the reviewing UDI Online team member or faculty who used a tool is presented in addition to student ratings when available.
1. The e-tool was easy to incorporate into my course.
2. I used the e-tool to address the following: (Select all that apply).
- Expedited drafting and coaching process.
- Reduced issues involved with ability to read handwriting.
- Allowed direct comment on student writing.
3. Do you think the e-tool exemplified the construct of UDI within your course?
(UDI is defined as an approach to teaching that consists of the proactive design and use of inclusive instructional strategies that benefit a broad range of learners including students with disabilities.)
4. Please comment on the benefits of using the e-tool in your course.
- Eased paper trail; facilitated direct engagement with student work; allowed for virtual discussion regarding student's progress toward completing the inquiry project.
- I was able to reply to students much faster using the comment tool. Used the comments function to further explain the course schedule to student and remind them of important dates week by week.
- Allows for detailed communication regarding student writing.
- Provide feedback in relation to specific areas of a paper.
5. Please comment on any drawbacks of using the e-tool in your course.
- Students' learning curve using the tool.
- There are still issues in how the comments appear between versions of MS Word. The old version is much less visually appealing and a bit harder to follow.
- Problems with conversion between versions of MS Word; only works if student HAS MS Word
6. I will use the e-tool in another course.
7. In the future, I will use the e-tool to address the following: (Select all that apply)
- Same as previously stated.
- Direct comment on work.
Student e-Tool Review Results
Number of students who took the survey: 29
Number of students with learning disabilities who took the survey: 0
1. The tool was easy to use.
2. The tool assisted me with the following: (Select all that apply)
3. Please comment on the benefits of using the tool in the course.
- My professor's comments were legible. Sometimes when a professor handwrites comments on my papers, I can't read them.
- Easy to communicate on your own time.
- The tool facilitated communication between student and professor. It was quick, convenient, and easy to use and understand.
- It was easier to see comments and then make changes accordingly without needing a hardcopy.
- It was a useful way for the instructor to give specific recommendations that were easy to read and easy to apply.
- It saved time and allowed me to use my instructor’s comments to the fullest extent and incorporate his advice into my work.
- Using track changes allows for easy editing of any turned in assignment, and allows me to see exactly what part of the document I have changed.
- Quick, legible and helpful feedback.
- It was helpful in that it was easy to read and understand what my instructor was suggesting.
- I am less e-literate than most so I had a more difficult time navigating it
- I really liked the way it worked.
- Less paperwork; quick receipt of edited document via email.
- Was able to receive feedback.
- It made the material fully understandable.
4. Please comment on any drawbacks of using the tool
- There were none. It was easy to use and helped me progress on my thesis.
- Lack of one-on-one conversation.
- I did not experience any drawbacks of this tool.
- A brief tutorial would have been helpful.
- It was new for me, so it just took a little getting used to.
- It seemed as though the program/tool was not quite as user-friendly as it could have been and there were times when it seemed hard to get rid of the track changes.
- Not everyone is comfortable doing everything electronically, and some people would rather see the corrections physically on the document. It assumes a high level of technology comfort.
- There was not any drawbacks per say from this tool.
- I would prefer more instruction and guidance when first using it, I think it could be really great, I was intimidated by it.
- Couldn’t always get complete page on the last page for the final evaluation of a paper
- Some technical malfunctions.